Saturday, March 9, 2013

Processing

I've been dealing with a lot recently and trying to remain positive and handle things as constructively as possible.  One of my methods of processing through difficult situations is writing everything out.  This clears my mind to get a fresh perspective. I'm not sure yet if I will post all of the recent writings.  But, because I have found postings by others in similar circumstances to be helpful when working through things, I thought I'd go ahead and post at least some of my thoughts while processing the current situation.

Here is the first (or possibly only) installment.  Advance warning: it is long.


Pain: the good, bad, and ugly
written 2/19/13

I’ve written before about the difference between “bad” days and “good” days and how it isn’t quite that simple to distinguish between them. I recently read a post by another blogger about her day with a severe pain flare.  I was struck by her ability to communicate some of the depths involved in chronic pain.  I have previously been afraid to even try to share the details of a pain flare for fear of worsening things by focusing on them, reliving the pain, or being thought of as complaining by those who cannot understand the reality of what life is like with chronic pain. Additionally, it is impossible to fully communicate something as subjective as pain. 

First, stop and think about the last time something hurt…anywhere.  How long did the pain last?  How severe was it?  What did it feel like?  Are these pleasant thoughts or memories? How did you react to the pain?  Were you able to think about other things?

Now, imagine that you lived with pain every single moment of every single day and night…for years on end with no reason to hope it will ever go away.  Maybe it will get better someday…but then again, maybe it will get worse.  Pain, day after day, night after night, no breaks, for days, weeks, months, years. 

When you hurt 100% of the time without any reprieve, it wears on you physically.  Dealing with pain is physically exhausting and draining.  Not only is it physically exhausting, but it is also mentally draining.  Trying to convince myself to take the next breath…and the next, and the next…just keep breathing.  Further demand on mental powers are trying to think past something so all-consuming as pain, then having to try to keep track of which medication was taken when, when is the next dose due and of which medication, avoiding overdosing on any of them, etc.  Eventually, the physical and mental wear and tear contribute to emotional drain.  Depression is a common “side effect” of chronic pain for many people.  I have not looked at the statistics for several years, but know the link exists.  

 A very recent example from my own life: I am dealing with one of the worse pain flares I’ve known and I’ve been through plenty in the past decade.  I came home from work after literally fighting the entire day to keep pain managed well enough that I didn’t totally crash emotionally at work.  I somehow held it off.  But, once home I had absolutely nothing left to work with.  I was exhausted from fighting all day long just to keep going through the motions, trying to get my work done when in reality my brain was half consumed with pain and half consumed with medication side effects.  I completely melted down once home.  I went to bed and cried the hardest I’d cried in months.  What was worse, was crying made the pain worse, but I couldn’t stop crying.  No position was comfortable…everything hurt.  Which would only start the tears again each time I’d managed to stop crying.  

Limitations and loss.  These are a natural part of any chronic illness and this includes chronic pain.  I still struggle to fully accept the fact that to a certain extent, I’ve lost part of how I always used to identify myself.  I was always strong growing up and my parents, siblings and others would ask for help with various things.  I was always reliable and dependable-if I said I’d be somewhere, I’d be there, or if I promised to do something, I did it.  I was also a planner.  I planned ahead as far as I could and in as much detail as possible.  Now…I still try, but there are things beyond my control that often prevent me from going where I’d planned, or doing what I’d planned.  Instead of others asking me for help, now I find myself having to ask for help.  I still dislike having to ask for help.  But the reality is I can’t even physically keep up with my own basic housework right now.  If this flare does not let up soon, I will need to ask for help with basics…cleaning, errands, etc.  I’ve already had to ask friends to be “on call” for me in case the medications were not enough and I needed a ride to the ER.  Thankfully, I’m very determined and managed to head off/wait out the pain and avoid the ER that time.  

Normally, no one can get me to give up on anything.  Right now, the pain has nearly convinced me to stop trying.  I am so far beyond my own ability to do anything.  Absolutely everything now is only God carrying me.  I’m done, my physical strength is gone, pain has reduced my brain to a fraction of its normal ability, I cannot remember anything, my attention span is non-existent.  The pain in my neck and back are such that I cannot turn my head very far without excruciating pain, my right arm is weak, numb, and unable to be moved or do much, writing for classes and taking notes is difficult at best.    I’m still hanging on…and somehow even still preserving the appearance of being “normal” (whatever that is).  There is no such thing as normal in the life of some who lives with chronic pain.  There is “normal” pain, bad pain days, good pain days, new pain, old pain, different pain, new symptoms that one never knows whether to ignore or follow up on, and weariness…with pain…with fatigue…with having to take so much thought and planning before doing anything. The amount of time and energy required for therapy just to get pain controlled enough to survive the day can be overwhelming.  

Yet, through it all, God is faithful.  He sustains, He is all sufficient.  He gives the grace and strength to keep going when I am utterly exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment