Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What is a Bad Day?

What is a bad day? This is something I have thinking about a lot lately. It seems like right now life is one bad day after another. The bright spots have been my quiet times with the Lord. In fact, these times with the Lord seem brighter and deeper and more encouraging and refreshing than usual. Is this because of the background of pain and discouragement? Or, is it that God is using the "bad" days to show me my utter dependence upon Him? I honestly do not know the answer to these questions. I suspect it is a combination, but primarily the last one. It is so humbling to realize that it takes this degree of pain to make me realize how helpless I am and just how much I need God's grace and strength for everything.

Week 2 of new medication. Last week was awful. This week, the first couple of days were so much better. I was starting to get excited and think maybe we had found something to help break the pattern of ongoing pain. Then came today. What happened today? Not sure...lots of pain is all I know. Pain that refused to respond and left me fighting to focus, fighting tears, simply trying to make it to the end of the day. Lots of prayer...

Was I putting too much reliance on yet another human solution? Maybe? Regardless, the Lord has reminded me yet again that He is in control. I keep talking of pain control, or pain management. The reality is that there is no semblance of control and I am really not managing things. But, God is with me-carrying me. He loves me and desires the best for me-even if it means pain to achieve His purpose. In all, I must trust and rest fully in Him. He is sovereign, loving and good no matter how things may look at times.

My quiet time this morning was good-exciting and thought provoking. Interesting that it came on a day that ended up like today. I will have to post once I get the thoughts a bit more organized...

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure why you are in pain but a lot of times I find myself sick when I really needed to give myself a break and relax. Sometimes pain is just a big reminder that is saying" SLOW DOWN!! YOU DON'T NEED TO DO EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW!" Regardless, I do hope you feel better.

    I have been thinking about "good days" and "bad days." Recently, my teacher's 6 year old daughter said something that I really needed to hear. She said "I know today is going to be a good day in three ways! 1. My loose tooth going to fall out in school today. 2. I'm going to get an ice cream after school. 3. We are playing a special game in gym today."

    I feel like we forget "the good things." We need to remember the simple joys of life. Things as simple as getting to read a book or hearing a few songs we like should be able to make it a good day. I feel we can always pull a little good out of the bad and get out of a "bad day" rut that we have put ourselves in.

    Sorry this is so long. It was just such a meaningful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying for you Stephanie!
    I think there is either something in the water or bad weather coming soon, because today was a painful day for me too....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a blessing to me! Thank you for being faithful to Jesus IN THE BAD DAYS! I will be praying for you Stephanie. May the Lord's grace be poured out on you even this night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachaelle: Praise the Lord for using this! Thank you for your prayers. God is good!

    Malaika: still praying for you, too!

    Stephanie Ann: as a brief explanation, the pain was originally due to a car accident nearly 8 years ago. However, it has been considerably worse for the past almost 9 months. Yes, I am sure you are right that I do need to slow down. Unfortunately, things at work are such that I can't slow down-so am caught in a vicious cycle. The long hours make the pain worse which slows me down meaning I have to work longer hours, etc... Your post is not too long! I appreciate you sharing the story and your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete