Saturday, March 23, 2013

Homemade Hummus



I've continued to experiment with cooking beans starting from dry beans.  This recipe is modified from a recipe my sister gave me.

Hummus

~1 ¾-2 c cooked chick peas, drained (save liquid)
2 cloves garlic, pressed (or 1/4 t garlic powder)
½ t salt
1/3 c tahini
~4 t lemon juice (to taste)
bean cooking liquid to desired consistency

Sort, rinse and cover chick peas (garbanzo beans) with several inches of water and soak overnight. Drain beans, pour into crock pot and cover with several inches of water.  Cook until beans are tender.  (Several hours on low. It takes less time on high, but I was gone most for the day so used low since I was not there to monitor.) Place all ingredients in blender and blend all together until smooth.  

The original recipe called for 1 can of chick peas, so I estimated how much to use.  I suspect anywhere between ~1 ½ to 2 c will work. I cooked an entire pound of chick peas knowing it was more than needed.  I have cooked and frozen beans before so figured I could just freeze the extra for the future. This was my first time making hummus using beans cooked from dry.  I’ve always used canned beans before.  I was excited this still turned out well!

My favorite foods to eat with hummus: red pepper strips, fresh homemade tortillas, Triscuits, baby carrots, or using the hummus as a spread in wraps, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment