Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Two Weeks: Regrouping

August 1 marks two weeks post-op right hip and 13 months post-op left hip.  The focus has been mostly on the rigth hip, but the left hip is still rehabbing as well.  Left hip is doing great!  It is handling doing most of the work with crutches.  My shoulders are also so far handling the crutches. Both shoulders and left hip are usually pretty tired by evening and sometimes getting sore, but OK again the next morning.  I am trying to be cautious with how I move and how much I am up and around to avoid the issues I ran into last year from crutches.  I should be about halfway through the time on crutches.  The right hip is still doing very well!  I am still off pain killers, no actual pain.  It will get a bit sore if I have been up sitting more with appointments, but nothing concerning--just uncomfortable. It is interesting to look back and see how things were going at two weeks post op last time, as well as a year ago.  I'd say overall, recovery and rehab are still going better this time, but I am being cautious as I know how easy it is to overdo it and how easy it is for flares to strike. I also know weaning off crutches can have some uncomfortable times. A lot has happened over the past week.  This includes moving out of state, so final packing, cleaning, transition first to a hotel, then travel.  My sister was staying with me for the move and she did her best not to let me help, but I insisted with tasks I knew from last year that I was capable of doing. Thus, I did help with both packing and cleaning.  I am none the worse for doing so, and it decreased both our stress levels those final days.

In spite of all going on, rehab and recovery are still going well!  I can do most things on my own, am independent for nearly everything.  Because of surgery on right hip, I am still not driving--I have not even tried.  The hip may be ready to try, but I do not want to risk a set back and currently have drivers available. Once again, I am finding all of the work pre-op making sure I was strong has been incredibly helpful with early recovery and rehab.  We think I was even stronger prior to this surgery, than last surgery.  At any rate, I am handling crutches better, stairs are easier--not just knowing how to navigate them with crutches, but actually less exhausting, less work. With an injection several months ago anf treating MCAS and other issues, we had gotten shoulder pain calmed down, and that allowed us (PT and me) to work more on strengthening.  I was able to go from restricted to only swimming non-consecutive days to give shoulders a break, to gradually working up to swimming every single day (6 days in a row) the week before surgery.  This further strengthened shoulders, plus increased overall endurance and I think has really helped.  I think both hips were also stronger going into this surgery, than last time.  I know core strength was better  Last time, I was 7 months post-op abdominal surgery when I had the hip surgery and we had my core strength back really well and even better than prior to the abdominal surgery, but this time had even more time to continue to build my core strength.

Moving necessitates finding a new medical team. As a decidedly medically complicated patient, seeing new providers for the first time can be interesting (aka intimidating/nerve-wracking). I go into appointments with new providers hoping for the best but keeping expectations minimal.  I know things are challenging--not just for me to live with, but for providers to help me manage. I do not expect answers, solutions, etc.  I am only looking for help and support with learning to manage everything the best possible.  I have been surprised over the past year with some actual answers, diagnoses, etc.  But, was not expecting them, so they actually caught me off guard. However, it has been incredibly helpful to have those answers when transitioning care--better explanations for what is going on, less questions as to what exactly we are trying to treat, etc.

I got to meet my new PT and the appointment went well.  I am optimistic.  I also saw the physician who I have been looking to transition primary care to and had the sutures removed and replaced with Steri strips. Incisions look fine, the Steri strips are a precaution due to EDS. He was not at all concerned with my medical complexity, knew what EDS is, was open to info on MCAS.  He is willing to support me with what is needed to manage things.  So grateful things went well!  More hopeful.

I saw my surgeon the day before surgery on right hip for 1-year post-op appointment on left hip.  He checked both hips, which did not surprise me, and we also discussed both hips.  Left hip is doing really well, no concerns.  We discussed expectations long term for left, rehab for right.  My surgeon told me my persepctive on things was healthy and encouraged me to do what I did last time as it clearly worked for me.  This was a huge boost of confidence just as I was going into surgery the next day.  I was trusting him as he operated, and he trusting me with rehab. He told me he would support me with whatever is needed, but I need to let him know what I need.  I already knew he would support me as he did so with the first hip even through some flares and rough times. I was nervous as knew I would be changing PTs and I credit my Iowa PT with helping me rehab as well as I did with the left hip and really wished I could have stayed with her to rehab the right hip--at least the first few months.  The PT I saw this time in MN further supported me.  She commented she could tell I'd been through this rehab before and clearly had a good PT working with me in Iowa.  She trusted me to walk without the brace to get on the bike and commented she had watched and I never once broke restrictions. This was another boost of confidence that I and my body know what to do.  This confidence and trust in me and my body is so helpful when trying to navigate working with new medical providers.

Speaking of medical complexity, here are some of the Facebook memories for this date over the years. This is the third time in 4 years I have been recently post-op on this date.

1 YEAR AGO TODAY
I get to start weaning off crutches! I know this will be a process and not to rush it, but I am so excited right now!
4 YEARS AGO TODAY
I am headed back to Mayo Clinic in the morning for the results of my muscle biopsy and other testing. Please pray for clear answers and direction.

In the past week, I once again traveled out of state, this time moving from Iowa to Nebraska, rather than returning to Iowa from Minnesota after surgery. The trips are the same distance (~215 miles Ames to Minneapolis, ~215 miles Ames to Lincoln, both take ~3.5 hours, but I usually take 4 ish hours from frequent stops). The trip home to Iowa after surgery took 4 hours.  The trip to Nebraska went OK, but uncomfortable and the normally 3.5-hour drive took 5 hours.  I was so tired of sitting, even reclined, but too tired to stand/walk much, so ended up lying down on a bench at a rest stop for a while for a break.


Officially back in Lincoln, Nebraska. I have no idea how temporary or permanent this move is. For now, grateful to be here, but missing Iowa and Iowa people.  I am still in transition as staying with my sister until off crutches and can better handle all of the stairs at my dad's place. Then, still in transition even there until rehabbed well enough to find work and my own place again.


God has gone before, faithfully brought me safely here, sufficiently providing needs.  I need to keep trusting.

Copyright © 2017 by Steph. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment