Monday, August 1, 2016

One Month

I know I just posted an update yesterday, but most of it was written Friday.  Also a LOT changed between yesterday and today!  Amazing how much things can change between 4 weeks and one month.

What I wrote yesterday in my journal:
"4 weeks post op and tired and grouchy. The hip is still doing really well, but the other chronic pain (neck, back, shoulder, other hip) is fed up with being on crutches and complaining rather loudly. :( I finally cried for the first time since surgery this morning. I am still wiped out from class and having to be on campus last week, but did not sleep well. So, I woke tired and stiff and my hands, arms, and shoulder did not want to bear my weight with the crutches. I was home from church yet again and honestly cannot recall the last time I was able to go as I had not been in over a month before surgery either."

Then this morning, my arms were more willing to carry my weight but my "good" hip was not wanting to carry my weight. I also woke with the surgical hip swollen again even though I had been careful and used the weekend to rest and recover from last week. So, I started out this morning pretty frustrated and discouraged as well.

I went to the pool and walked in the water and that seemed to go OK. I had physical therapy this afternoon. She had started to have me put weight on the hip last week, but only partial and only a few seconds at a time. Today she had me practice walking! I started holding onto the railing, then with one crutch, then with nothing! I can actually walk! I was pretty weak and shaky with no crutches and gait was off so for now I have to keep one crutch, but it is only one crutch and it is not supposed to have much weight through it! Oh, and no more purple leg as of this afternoon! It was very purple this morning but not now! So, putting weight back on it really is helping!

I went from really discouraged this morning to really excited this afternoon! Yay for a huge step! Alright, so I actually take small steps, but pretty excited to be taking any steps! I know this is a process and I know to be careful and not push limits. I was warned that although some of my joints and muscles will be very grateful to be off crutches, others will not like and will let me know. I am so grateful to be moving on to this next stage of recovery and rehab!

Copyright © 2016 by Steph. All rights reserved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment