Saturday, July 16, 2016

Week Two Update

I am now two weeks out from the hip surgery and still doing really well!  I keep thinking things will get worse at some point, but thus far it hasn't happened.  Coming off crutches might change the story as currently, the repaired hip is getting a break from weight bearing and thus so is that entire leg and that side of low back, etc.  For now, I am not worrying about what might (or might not) happen later, but rather choosing to enjoy each good moment as it comes. It is so weird and so nice not having the constant, nagging, annoying, often debilitating pain in my hip.  

I can do a lot, but finding that just because I can does not mean I should. I am progressing in physical therapy ahead of schedule so we are sort of in a holding pattern until my body has had more time to heal before advancing to the next level of rehab. Although there is a lot I can do, there are still a lot of basics that I cannot do. I am choosing to focus on what I can do and not what I cannot. I am also trying to find at least one new thing each day that I can do. Some days it is more than one! 

Some new challenges are surfacing, but these were largely anticipated.  My right hip is getting tired and sore, but it has done that all along whenever the left hip was flared even before surgery, so with left being non-weight bearing, right is carrying full load.  (At least I am small and do not weigh much!)  Shoulder is also getting tired and sore, but since this has also happened in the past even without crutches, I am just amazed it has taken this long to happen.  I should be half way through needing the crutches as long as things stay on track....

I am so grateful for all of the work invested before surgery into helping me go into this surgery as strong as possible in spite of the various limitations and restrictions.  It has certainly helped the recovery to go smoothly and well thus far.  I had the support of so many through the "pre-hab" stage. 

I am also so grateful for all who have been praying for me prior to surgery, through surgery and now during recovery!  I am also thankful to all who are assisting me with rides, help at home, etc.  I am also grateful for all of those I have never met before who see me on crutches and open doors for me, or offer to carry things for me!  And, yes I have made a solo trip out all by myself.  I drove myself to the gym and got in the pool!  It felt so good to be in water again!!!  I was cleared for both driving and being in water--with strict precautions regarding submerging the incisions and protecting them.  But, both had been discouraged...so, this was a one-time occurrence.  However, I am hoping to get back to both driving and being in the pool regularly again soon.  Anyway, the reason I went was partly just to see how it would go, partly because I really wanted to, partly because I needed the boost of confidence that I can get myself places if needed. 

I am so grateful for God's faithfulness and provision in all things!

Copyright © 2016 by Steph. All rights reserved. 

1 comment: