Sunday, April 28, 2013

Homemade Chocolate Syrup Recipe

As seems to happen so often, just when I think I have finalized a recipe or the way I do things, I decide to try something else.  Invariably, I then like the new method better and switch to using it.  So, after posting the "final" version of the recipe for homemade hot cocoa mix, I have not made another batch...because I remembered I had an older recipe for chocolate syrup, decided to get it out and try it again, and have been using that instead. :)  I honestly have no idea where this recipe originally came from.  I do know that my mom and I modified it years ago and I further adjusted it earlier this month.


Homemade Chocolate Syrup

1 c cocoa
3/8 t salt
¾ c water
¾ c honey
2 t vanilla

In 4 cup glass measuring cup, mix cocoa, slat, water and honey and stir until smooth.  Microwave on high 1-2 minutes until mixture comes to a boil, stirring twice.  Boil 3 minutes (50% power), stirring as needed to prevent boiling over (also WATCH carefully!). Stir in vanilla and allow to cool.  Store in fridge.  Makes ~ 2 cups.

OR

In small saucepan, mix cocoa, salt, water and honey.  Bring to boil over very low heat, stirring constantly.  Cook 5-8 minutes or until syrup is completely smooth.  Stir in vanilla.

I simply use a couple of tablespoons of this syrup in milk (either cold or hot), coffee, or more often a combination of hot coffee and milk. This syrup is also very good over ice cream, stirred into smoothies, etc.

*NOTE: infants under 1 year of age should NOT have honey because of the risk of botulism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment