Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Gingerbread Cookie Recipe

We recently had a cold day, windy, snowing, and with blizzard warning.  It was a great day to stay inside. Lots of organizing in the morning, PT exercises in the afternoon, more organizing. Then, baking with my sister! This is a recipe that I no longer recall where I first got it, nor to what degree I modified it from original. This is one of my "healthy" cookie recipes. But, it is still a cookie.

Gingerbread Cookies

Gingerbread Cookies Recipe

½ cup butter, softened
1/3 cup molasses
add honey to the molasses to make ½ cup
1 egg
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
¾ teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cloves

Cream butter, molasses, and honey. Add egg and mix well. Sift together dry ingredients, then add to wet ingredients. Mix. Roll dough on floured surface. Cut into desired shapes. Bake ~350° for ~10 minutes, or until firm in center. Baking time may vary depending on size of cookies. Decorate as desired, if desired. 

Enjoy!

Copied from here:

I am not sure where this was copied from....or why baking info is missing. Yes, I increased the butter. I use blackstrap molasses. The dough can be chilled and then rolled, cut, and baked at a later time.  I made up the baking temp and time. 😉
*Note: infants less than one year of age should not have honey.

Although I typically think of gingerbread with Christmas, these can be used for numerous seasons, holidays, etc.

 
Christmas

Valentine's Day

I have made them in the shapes of leaves, acorns, and pumpkins for fall. I have decorated with icing, sprinkles, chopped walnuts, etc. The iced gingerbread people above, do not require any fancy decorating supplies.  I used a baggie and snipped off one corner with scissors, then piped the faces and typical gingerbread look with that. Super easy!  (Warning, I cannot recall how many baggies I went through....they have a way of bursting.  Oops.)

This scene was created by my sister and me using gingerbread cookies and only basic items.

Little House in a Small Wood


Copyright © 2018 by Stef. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment