Thursday, January 18, 2018

6 Months: Progress Finally!

Once again I am at the start of a new year, grateful to have made it through the last one, hoping this year will be better. I am six months post-op right hip, 18.5 months post-op left hip, ten weeks post car accident. Six months seems to make a difference with this hip surgery recovery.  It must allow enough time for more thorough healing. I recall last year making sudden gains around 6 months post-op, and this hip has been similar in some respects.  However, quite different in others. This month started out still struggling after the car accident, but making progress finally. There had been more time for healing. 

In some ways I am still not back to where I was before the accident early November.  In other ways, I am doing better.  I suspect much of this is simply the time factor--healing takes time.  We are in "uncharted waters" with respect to this recovery.  Rehabbing from hip surgery and recovering from a car accident are not a good mix. I am no longer "only" rehabbing from hip surgery.  But, neither am I "only" recovering from a car accident. Rather, I am trying to heal from both simultaneously. Except that they sort of interfere with each other. I suspect there is no standard timeline for recovery from car accidents since they can vary so much. There is a somewhat typical estimate on recovery from hip surgery. However, I am totally off track now.

We made some new discoveries over the past month. Kinesiology tape (Rock tape) works incredibly well! Taping my neck, was the first I was able to swim more than a few laps and with far less pain!  We also tried taping right hip with good success, left shoulder with reasonable benefit, left hip with dubious outcome, right side of mid-back with no detectable difference (that I know of). I am sensitive to many adhesives, so we started out with only small area, did not leave the tape on as long as it could have lasted, checked skin for irritation. Then, me being me (careful) and knowing my body, took a couple of extra steps--removed any residual adhesive, then applied hydrocortisone cream.  Did a few weeks of taping different areas, then the shoulder tape was pulled off at the clinic, three new areas taped, I had other appts, so kept going through the day.  That night, noticed shoulder was red/irritated where the tape had been, and mildly itchy along some of the edges of the new tape.  So, I knew this would be the last taping for a while.  It was nice while it lasted.

I recently had a recheck with local orthopedic surgeon to see how I am doing with hips, healing from accident injuries, and recheck the shoulder.  I really was not sure what to expect as I realize the entire situation is complicated. The appointment went very well.  He agreed that the situation is challenging, as well as how difficult (impossible?) it is to predict recovery, because my body is trying to heal from two major issues at once--major surgery and auto accident injuries, plus has other ongoing issues. He said my body is not ready for more surgery at this point. He suggested I get back in touch with my hip surgeon regarding rechecking hips earlier than the next scheduled follow-up appointment there. He said to wait and give more time for healing on the neck issue before getting too concerned, or pursuing more testing. My left shoulder was thoroughly rechecked, trying to determine the extent the various issues are bothering me; he also checked laxity by gently pulling on my arm above the elbow, asked if it hurt at all?  Nope.  He then told me my shoulder is subluxating (partially dislocating). Oh. He gave me another cortisone injection for left shoulder with the goal of giving me a break from the shoulder pain at least, making more progress in PT--even though we have already done this twice before and keep ending up back at the same place.  He had me move my arm after the injection while still in the exam room, after a short time asked me how it felt--much better! Also, could move it better!  But....that again confirms the shoulder is a significant part of the ongoing issues.  After injection, he said he suspected I'd need surgery once ready.

I am still dealing with aggressive rehab--8-10+ appt each week since the accident. It is beyond exhausting, and becoming counter-productive...not time to do exercises on my own, or too tired from all of the running from place to place. I can drive, but still do not have a car.  I had the use of my sister's and was able to get myself everywhere most of the week her final week of break--such freedom!  But, short-lived. I am still employing my typical coping/management tactics and focusing on what I can do, not what I cannot do. 


Copyright © 2018 by Stef. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment