Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A New Day

My favorite bridge on my favorite walking path.

So, the trees and bushes are not really supposed to be in the water...
The water across the path makes this sign unnecessary in my opinion. And, yes, I did go around another sign just like this in order to get my pictures of the flooded bridge. (But, I did not go around this sign-very dutiful citizen that I am! =)

These pictures are actually from yesterday, but the water has not receded much, so it still pretty much looks like this-worse in some places, better in others. Yesterday (and today) was a new day after the storm and downpour Sunday night. I just checked and the creek is rising again. So, I may have to move my car for the night to avoid flooding issues...sigh. (The river is 2 feet over flood stage and the creek (right across from where I live) is 1.5 feet over flood stage.) In the last picture (taken from a window in my apartment building), you can see the brand new "lake" that appeared yesterday morning and is still very much there. Normally, that is an empty field and the creek usually remains in its banks on the far side of the field-well behind the bushes that stick out into the middle of the field. However, in the year that I have lived here, this is the third time I have seen the creek out of its banks like this. Although, this time is the most widespread flooding. As long as it does not do any damage, it is interesting to watch the water rise.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, Stephanie! That is a lot of water! What a nice view you have out your window. You took some great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe what Ames looks like right now!! I think coming back I'll be living in Venice for a few weeks haha ;)

    ReplyDelete