Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Another New Day-God is Good!!

Beautiful lakefront property! (And a partially submerged bus stop shelter.)
Some chose to ignore the warning to remove cars from the parking lot.
Being evacuate by boat with another rescue boat in front of us.
Landing on dry ground.

Well, I have had an adventurous morning! I woke to no power and to widespread flooding. I was stranded at my apartment with no way out due to the deep and rising water. Between watching the storm and rising waters last night and watching the rising waters and rescue boats this morning, I have been meeting and visiting with a lot of my neighbors! I was content to let those who really needed out go with the first boat loads. My apartment is on second floor and should not be in any danger. I did pack a few things and get ready while waiting. By the time I was able to get on a boat, they were forcing all to evacuate.

From what I have heard and seen, this is setting new flood records for this area. While it was interesting to watch while nothing was damaged, I feel bad for those who did not move their cars, or whose apartments did get water. At the same time, God is still in control. It was exciting to see how He had gone ahead even in this. My apartment-which was assigned to me when I moved-is on the top floor in the building that is on the highest ground! (I did not know it was on highest ground until this morning when seeing where the water was.) My work schedule for today had absolutely nothing on it that requred me to be present. It is challenging getting anywhere with the flooding affecting so much throughout the city.

It is interesting to see where priorities lie when packing for an unknown duration and with only a backpack to fill to take with me. I cannot go back to my apartment until the water goes down.

I read the following last night before I went to bed:
From Daily Light (http://www.mun.ca/rels/restmov/texts/dasc/DLDP0810.HTM)
"Whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe. [Or, set on high.] PROV. 29. 25."

With the rising waters and incoming storms last night, this was a good reminder of where my security truly is! I never felt afraid. I was curious at times as I did not know what to expect, but don't remember ever feeling fear. I slept well once I finally got to bed to stay (was up at various times watching the storm and the flooding progress). God is good!

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! I can't believe how much water there is there! That's just crazy. I would have expected that in the spring, but no way this late in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of the hymn that ends with "Lord, plant my feet on higher ground" Glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete