Friday, November 25, 2016

Festive Sweet Potatoes

This is one of my favorite holiday recipes.  I think cranberries make things look festive. I managed to lose the original recipe and had modified it anyway, so just go by memory, thus it is probably a little different each time I make it.  Below is what I did this time.

Sweet Potato Casserole

~4 lb 
sweet potatoes (I think this was closer to 4.5 lb)
1 red apple (I think I used Fuji because that was what I had)
1 12-oz pkg cranberries
1/4 c honey
cinnamon

-Scrub, cut up, boil sweet potatoes until tender.  Drain, peel, cut into desired size, layer in 9x13" pan (this step can be done in advance and the sweet potatoes stored in fridge until ready to finish/bake).
-Rinse and drain cranberries.  Boil cranberries and honey until the sauce is desired consistency (~10-15 minutes? berries will pop and soften)
-Thinly slice apple over sweet potatoes
-Pour cranberries over top of apple/sweet potatoes
-Sprinkle cinnamon over top of cranberries (I don't ever measure this, just sprinkle liberally)
-Bake @ 350 until hot through and apple is tender (~45 minutes)
Please note that infants less than one year of age should not have honey. 

Enjoy!

Update Thanksgiving 2018
These are very good using pure maple syrup in place of the honey and dotting the top with butter before baking. They are also very good served with chopped pecans.

Update Thanksgiving 2021
These are very good using a 12-ounce can of undiluted apple juice concentrate in the cranberry sauce in place of the honey. I also sprinkled the cinnamon on top of the apples and then topped everything with the cranberry sauce. 

Notes 
This can be made with frozen cranberries. The sauce will take a little longer. 
Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and/or ginger can be added to the cranberry sauce. 
The cranberry sauce is also very good on pumpkin pancakes. 


Sweet potatoes ready for the oven. 


Copyright © 2016 by Steph. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment