Friday, August 19, 2016

Slow and Steady: 7 weeks

It is hard to believe the semester is nearly here!  It is also hard to believe I am already (and also only) 7 weeks post op.  I am still doing really well overall, but also still running into challenges.  The major challenges this past week actually had nothing to do with surgery at all other than that any stressor is going to affect recovery indirectly.

Progress feels slower.  I am not sure if that is because as I regain strength and ability, the increases become smaller proportionally?  Or, if progress actually is slower because of the challenges with the "good" hip and back?  Either way I have to remember that any forward progress is good regardless of pace and that the end goal--full recovery--needs to remain my focus and not how fast (or slowly) I am getting there.

Walking is getting better with each day but is still slow.  I can actually swim laps again!  Pace is slow (because of not kicking), but I can do it!  I was cleared to try elliptical, but only for a few minutes to start with and see how it goes--it went fine.  Lots of little steps in the right direction. Slowly, but steadily, making progress.

There are still lots of restrictions in place.  It is hard trying to balance newly regained ability with wanting to get back to normal with the continued restrictions. I am intentionally choosing to focus on what I can do and not on the limitations and restrictions.

I was recalling that early on I was trying to find at least one new thing I could do each day.  Somewhere along the way I forgot about this  I am still finding new things I can do but not certain if it is every day.  There is also the gradual return to more normal ways of doing things and gradual return to more of my normal routine. Although in process of returning to routine, there is still a lot that is unpredictable.  There is also apparently the gradual return to overdoing it.  This evening let me know I attempted too much today. Lots of ice and rest. Grateful for the weekend.

Copyright © 2016 by Steph. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment