Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Week 12: Fear, Frustration, and Hope

Crazy week.  Started out miserable, scared, really not doing well. We backed off of PT, rehab exercises again to see how that would go, kept some exercises that seemed to be going well, kept elliptical, kept swimming. I was started on steroid burst again, sent to rheumatologist.  The rheumatologist appointment was not particularly helpful.  He again ruled out systemic rheumatic conditions--not surprising.  However, he really had nothing helpful to suggest. He recommended things we had either already tried and were doing or had tried and not gone well. (This was among one of the worst appointments I have had in a long time. He did not exactly brush me off, so much as did not listen, appeared to have preconceived ideas/assumptions about me, would not let me explain, pretty much made me feel like I knew nothing and was doing everything wrong, and as if the rest of my team was not doing things right either. It was all I could do to try to stay calm, not get upset.  I was working so hard and staying calm, I forgot to ask half of what primary care physician had asked me to ask about. But, I prefer not having this physician involved in my care in anyway.  I suspect, he prefers not to be involved as well, and that may be why he made things so miserable for me????)  I did cry that afternoon as incredibly frustrated and emotionally drained from the appointment that morning, plus still in escalating pain, getting more scared.  I had gone in hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst as I never know how appointments with new providers will go.  But, I was still not prepared for that.  Rough, rough day, questioning everything because I had been questioned.  Surgeon's PA called later after hours to touch base with how I was doing.  I updated that things were still getting worse, that PCP had started prednisone, that rheumatology appt was unhelpful other than again confirming no systemic involvement from autoimmune inflammation. I did not tell all that happened, but did tell what was relevant to problem-solving hips issues. PA seemed to agree with me that this was not a good fit, that I need someone who will think outside the box, that my surgeon will check things and see what he thinks once I get there.  That was reassuring to be reminded that my surgeon and team know me, are there for me, and will support me no matter what some other provider who had never met me before may say.

I called my Iowa PT out of desperation as miserable, scared, dreading the trip to IA/MN. My Iowa PT called me back and was so helpful!  She tried to problem-solve over the phone what might be going on, what might help.  Gave a couple of things to mention to local PT next appointment, then see what MN PT and surgeon think when I see them.  I am scheduled with IA PT on the return trip, too.  So, she will ave a chance to see what is going on and help the best able.  That conversation was so reassuring.  There has been so much uncertainty.  She had concrete ideas and suggestions.

After 24 hours of prednisone, started noticing brief reprieves from pain and increases in ability to move a little better.  It continually got better, but sort of non-linear, as we just kept getting rain and storms.

Finally, a weekend that was not mostly bed rest!  Saturday started rainy, but ended up nice.  I got through exercises pretty well that morning--still cautious and careful of what I do and how I move, but starting to try more again. Sunday, still stayed home from church as still afraid to sit much. But, did rehab exercises, took the day slowly and carefully.  Opted to go to the pool and swim laps as felt well, swimming helps, not sure how much access to swim I will have later in the week.

The real test comes this next week: long distance travel, surgeon follow-up appointment, professional conference, other meetings and appointments.  We are problem-solving a lot of different things right now. The upcoming travel, is part of why I am being so cautious now--I do not dare push any limits and make it harder to handle the trip.  Still uncertain, but hopeful.

12 weeks post op left hip last year.

Copyright © 2017 by Stef. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment