Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Week Five: Making Progress

This week started off as tedious as ever, still on both crutches.  I am in the stage of recovery where nothing can get my heart rate up....except swimming.  However, swimming is still no kick, I have two not-so-good shoulders, so have to be super careful.  I still get worn out easily. Getting through rehab exercises, icing, self-care takes all day.  I am getting lots of reading done--when on the stationary bike or icing.  Otherwise, things feel time-consuming, tedious, tiresome.

My body is getting ever more uncomfortable from crutches--cried myself to sleep a couple of nights ago from shoulder pain--outright pain, not just soreness.  Back on pain medication at night for shoulders, neck, back.  Hips are so far OK, though left has been getting sore and nervous about flaring it up again. I took a day off from rehab exercises over the weekend as a desperate attempt to help calm things down, or at least slow the downward trend.  The surgical hip was doing fine, handling things, did not need a break, but the rest of my body needed help of some type and I was not sure what else to do. I am not sure the break helped, but it did not seem to hurt, either.  I still did some gentle range of motion work for both hips.

Today I woke with worse pain yet in left shoulder, right shoulder more sore, neck and back even more sore, left hip more sore, etc.  The result was tears--exhausted emotionally from how tedious the past few weeks have been, how sore and stiff the rest of my body has been, etc.  I had nearly lost track of how well surgical hip was doing with how poorly everything else was feeling.  I knew I had PT this afternoon and was desperately hoping he'd let me try walking without any crutches and just see if I am ready as not sure my body can handle another day of this.  I was literally fearful of flaring things beyond point of return. I did take pain medication this morning as had a sneaking suspicion I'd be crying all day if I did not as too tired of the situation to deal with the pain as well. The day did get better, but still working on staying off my feet/crutches as much as possible, lots of rest with ice packs.

Physical therapy this afternoon went well!  I was asked how things were going and was honest--right hip is doing well, the rest of my body not so much.  Tried some new things with exercises and they went well. I was told the right hip is doing well, making steady progress, getting stronger!  This is encouraging! Tried walking with a cane and that went well and was easier on my shoulder.  I asked if reasonable to try walking without any aids?  Yes.  I tried and both hips felt fine.  However, PT commented I was limping.....on left side.  Oops.  He had observed a lateral shift as I was walking. This is an old compensation pattern from pre-op left hip.  Sigh.  So, he had me focus more on form, try again, and said it was better.  So, I am officially cleared to walk without crutches at home!  Yay! Excited, but more relieved than anything.  Recommendation is to use a cane for longer distances, keep one or both crutches when out and around as a visible cue for others not to crowd or rush me.  I am fine with this, as I recall last time being glad to be off crutches, but also missing them because they did provide a very visual reminder to others that I was not 100% and move more slowly and carefully, thus not to rush me. PT iced both hips at the end today.  That helped. So relieved and grateful!  Hoping and praying everything does calm down.

Looking back, it appears week five was a bit rough last time, as well. However, it also it had its good times.  Similar to last time, I have added back some of the pre-op exercises for the rest of my body as able to stand more. This has helped some.

Interesting link to a blog post by a PT who has had/recovered from surgery for hip labral tear.

The highlight of this week was not rehab-related at all.  Rather, it was getting to view the solar eclipse!  So exciting to get to see!


Copyright © 2017 by Stef. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie,
    I've been wondering how you've been doing and then I stumbled across your post and link to this. I'm so sorry you are struggling emotionally as well as physically. Some days are just so hard that its easy to get discouraged. I get it! I am rejoicing with you about the opportunity to ditch the crutches at home! And I continue to think of you and pray for the coming days as you work to allow healing to your body.

    ReplyDelete