Monday, July 3, 2017

One Year: I Did It!

I am one full year post op from left hip surgery!  This was the time frame I had been told at minimum for full recovery.  I never allowed myself to think anything less than a year.  So, when I was back to pretty much full normal ability around 6-7 months, I was thrilled and relieved and excited!  I ran into a flare ~9.5 months post-op after compensating for rapidly worsening right hip.  But, otherwise, the left hip is doing well.  Last appointment with surgeon, he cautioned me to expect it to take closer to 1.5-2 years to fully recover with each hip--I did not think at the time to ask him if this is because of the Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, or because of both hips being involved, or a combination thereof. Regardless, it honestly does not matter to me as long as I know that my body can recover and do so well. My theme for this recovery has been that this is not a race to see how fast I can recover, but a journey to see how well I can recover.  It is worth taking the time to let my body recover the best it can. My only regret regarding this surgery was not getting it done years earlier. But, that is not something I had any control over. I am just grateful I finally was able to have it done and that recovery has gone so well.

A year ago, I went into surgery still semi-functional in spite of severe limitations and pain, and came out pretty helpless and needy.

Barely awake after surgery. Pleasantly surprised with how little pain!

I compared early recovery to infancy--almost completely helpless, could not walk, stand, sit, crawl, or roll over, and I woke every few hours even through the night, but slept the majority of the time. I even had "tummy time" as part of rehab. I regained ability far faster, but still similar in many ways to early developmental stages of infancy.

The pool has probably been the single item I used most through rehab and relied on most.  I could still do things in the pool even when unable on land.  Being submerged in water decreased all pain. I had asked before surgery and was cleared to be in the pool early after surgery.  Early on, I could not do much but just being in water felt good and gave me a break from crutches.  When we ran into issues with non-op hip interfering with rehab, PT had me do things in the pool as I could do more in the pool than on land.  That way she kept me moving, kept me progressing in spite of challenges.

Here I am a year later, having been told year at minimum for full recovery.  Am I fully recovered? Probably not.  I was back to pre-hip issues ability for the most part before seven months post op, but the hip is still more prone to flares, there are limits for how long I tolerate some things, etc.  Also, at last appointment, surgeon told me to expect it to take 1.5-2 years each hip for full recovery.  For now, I am very grateful for how well things have healed thus far. I was back to walking an easy four miles in an hour, going to yoga class, Pilates class, even a little running at PT or in the pool.  I had gotten to try whip kick with breaststroke and it went well....with post-op hip, not so much the other.  I pretty much got back to full ability with most things I had done before hip issues.  I have since lost a lot of that ability because of the other hip, but it was so good to be able to get back to them for a while and to see that my body is capable of recovering back to old ability.  I am swimming at pre-hip issues ability or better, so that has been encouraging to have retained something I can do even with other hip getting worse. Surgery on my other hip is in just a couple of weeks, so I will then be starting over again.

I am grateful that the hip has healed and regained ability so well. This in spite of compensating for a painful other hip the vast majority of the past year. I subtitled this post, "I Did It," and there is a huge sense of accomplishment for not only surviving the past year, but coming through it as well as I did. However, I would be remiss not to credit both my surgeon and his team as well as my physical therapist.  There is no way I could have gotten through this year without them and their treatment, support, guidance, and care.  There is also no way I would have come through as well as I did without all of the support and help from my family, friends, and so many others.

I had anticipated the early days after surgery doing various quiet activities- crocheting, reading watching movies, coloring, etc.  However, I had issues with blurry vision most of the first week, and by the time vision cleared, I was totally on my own and self care and rehab exercises literally took all of my time in those early days (still napping a lot).  Once able to do more, I was back to studies. So, I never did most of the hobbies or things I thought I was going to do after surgery.  I did start another baby afghan the morning of surgery.  I eventually finished it, but this is the longest it has taken me to crochet a baby afghan.  I think it took me longer because I was doing other things after surgery, and most of the crocheting took place in the car to and from Minnesota for surgeon follow-up appointments. (I was not the one driving!)



God has faithfully carried me through a challenging year.  So much has happened. Hip surgery and recovery were only one part. However, they have been intertwined with all of the rest.  

Copyright © 2017 by Steph. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment