Monday, January 8, 2018

2018 Devotional Reading Plan

Each year, I choose how to go about my readings for my personal devotions. My plan for 2018 is to read through the Bible from Genesis through Revelation by the end of the year.  I have been reading through the Bible every year since 2000.  Some years I find reading plans online that go from cover to cover, other times, chronologically.  I also have a chronological Bible set up in daily readings.  It has also been helpful to me to change what version I am reading each year. I have read NIV (New International Version), KJV (King James Version), NKJV (New King James Version), ESV (English Standard Version), NASB (New American Standard Version).  Just the minute differences in wording between versions can give me a perspective I have previously missed. This combination has deepened my understanding, but more importantly has strengthened my relationship with God. It is amazing to see His love for each person. God's Word truly is living--it has new meaning, new insight each time I read it.  It offers encouragement, conviction based on what circumstances I am in, but is always what I needed to read at the time. I was unable to find the web site I got my reading plan from, but came across this site and at initial glance, it looks like a similar schedule to what I am doing, plus lots of other options.

In addition to Bible reading, I also read from one or two devotional books each year.  The past few years have been Streams in the Desert, as it meets me where my biggest struggles have been--complexities of joyful living in suffering. Daily Light on the Daily Path is a favorite.  My hard copy has both morning and evening readings, but the online version does not appear to have both. This one is entirely Scripture, but arranged around a topic for each reading.  My Utmost for His Highest, is another favorite I have read over the years. There are others I have read, many more I have not read.  These are simply the ones I come back to year after year.

In addition to the above resources, I also utilize Bible Gateway when searching for specific verses, or want to be able to copy and paste into a document, email, blog post, or Facebook post.

Hebrews 4:12 (NIV)
For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

Copyright © 2018 by Stef. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment