Saturday, September 3, 2016

Easy Crock Pot Minestrone

This is not a new recipe, but rather something I have been making for years and before that was modified from a stove top recipe.  But, I just realized that I did not have this recipe posted yet.  Plus, since I am feeling creative, I decided to try something a little different, because that is just the way I cook.

Minestrone

1 pound white beans (I used navy beans)
1 pound ground turkey
2 teaspoons onion powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon parsley
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
1/16 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons celery seed
1 pound frozen mixed vegetables
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
V8 (a few cups--I just poured)
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
olive oil (to taste, optional)
1-2 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni (optional)

Sort and rinse beans, cover with plenty of water, and soak beans overnight.  Drain beans, pour into crock pot.  Cover with fresh water.  Add ground turkey--it is fine to add it raw, it will fully cook, but it can be browned and drained, then added.  Add all seasonings except salt.  Cook on high until beans are tender (usually takes a few hours).  Add frozen mixed vegetables, frozen spinach, tomato paste, V8, salt, olive oil if desired.  Cook until all vegetables are hot through..  I usually let this simmer on low once it is done to give more time for flavors to blend.  If adding macaroni, add it only about 30 minutes before severing.

This recipe works better in a larger crock pot!  I made it work in my 3-quart crock pot, but it was thicker than I liked.  This makes a really big batch, but it does freeze, thaw well.

Copyright © 2016 by Steph. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment