Sunday, May 29, 2011

Prayer Request: Post-op Night Pain Episodes

I had minor (laparoscopic) abdominal surgery Wednesday. Since surgery, I have been wakened at least once every night in severe pain even though not due for more pain medication for hours yet. The pain is relatively severe when it comes. I have had worse before, but this is still pretty intense. It is puzzling. It is not due to the incisions. Those actually do not hurt. One of them has bothered some off and on, but not even what I would call pain. Instead, this is all internal. It may be related to one of the findings during surgery that helped explain some of the more recent abdominal pain I had been having prior to surgery. So far, the physicians do not know what is causing this to happen or what to do for relief. I am already at maximal amount of pain medications that can be taken orally. The surgeon increased the narcotic dose on Thursday and yesterday an on-call physician told me to take the prescription dose of the naproxen. I tried this and still had a bad night last night. I am doing everything suggested and then some. (Lots of ice packs, soothing music, hot tea, prayer.) God is the Great Physician and He knows what is causing this pain and what the solution is. I must trust and rest in Him. I would greatly appreciate prayer for tonight. I am becoming fearful of nights.

2 comments:

  1. Was wakened by severe pain again last night too...afraid to go to bed tonight...sigh. Planning to call the doctor's office in the morning and see if they can help. Trying to trust and rest-I know God knows all about this.

    ReplyDelete