Monday, October 8, 2018

Shoulder Rehab Progress: 2 months post-op

Two months has sure gone by quickly! The past month has been challenging. Rehab is going well, my shoulder is recovering and healing well. However, difficulties with insurance led to taking a break from physical therapy out of necessity. We are trying to touch base base every couple of weeks to make sure I continue to make progress, do not lose ground.

Today is exactly two months since surgery. Today was also first physical therapy appointment in 2.5 weeks. I was not sure how it would go as not sure how well I am able to keep forward progress on my own. Also, my shoulder has been more achy lately, but so has the rest of my body.....rainy weather, getting colder. The appointment went well! He is pleased with my range of motion and strength. Strength is advancing nicely. Range of motion is not progressing as quickly, but no concerns at this stage as it is nearly normal ranges. This was such a relief to hear and so encouraging.

I saw my surgeon for 6-week post-op check at 5.5 weeks post-op. He was very pleased with how I am doing, how well my shoulder is healing, how well incision scars look. This was encouraging to hear! Also, I drove the entire distance myself. It was approximately 900 miles round trip and I did entire trip there, part way back same day, then the final part the next morning. My shoulder handled things fine. My back not so much. Still recovering, but it may also be partially post-op tiredness, pain flare.

In spite of the flare, my shoulder is regaining a lot of ability it had lost due to pain prior to surgery. I am actually using that arm! I can walk without my arm being braced or taped and it does not hurt! I can use both hands to lift and carry things. I have to be careful, but as long as I am, my shoulder does not hurt! I am sleeping so much better than prior to surgery, too. I can get regular shirts and even light compression tank tops on and off normally! I had not done so for months prior to surgery--rather have lived in tank tops because I can step in and pull them up like pants. Super easy. Pre-op difficulties and finding solutions meant that post-op was not that bad as I had already figured out quite a bit. Still, it is exciting to be regaining ability I have not had for months. I am grateful and relieved.

I am still not allowed to use my left arm for swimming. Thus, I am still only kicking laps in the pool. However, I ditched the kick board. Legs are still primary source of power, but I am moving right arm a bit to try to mimic more normal motion. Making this shift, plus that it has been weeks now of kicking only, means I am getting faster. I am hoping that by the time I am cleared to try gentle arm motion, that my legs are strong enough to do the work, allowing arms to just go through the motions until my left arm and shoulder are stronger, ready to actually work.

Overall activity has been decreasing over the past month. This is a result of flare--pain is high, fatigue has returned, still worsening. I simply do not have the capacity that I had. This is not hips or shoulder limiting, but lacking the actual energy. Surgeries have usually resulted in a severe flare of fatigue, higher pain around one month post-op. We now figure it is MCAS (mast cell activation syndrome), causing flares. We took precautions with surgery and the first few weeks went incredibly well. But, I still hit a flare around five weeks post-op. It should ordinarily be improving again, but thus far, only seems to be worsening. Previously, this has been addressed with prednisone burst/taper to break the pain cycle. However, we still have no date on next surgery and allergist managing MCAS does not want to risk prednisone close to another surgery. Although, I would argue that if we don't, my body will not be ready to withstand another surgery anyway.

It has been a challenging month, but most of the challenges have been related to other chronic issues, rather than surgery or recovery. It is frustrating when working so hard to get through each day, to then also have to fight what can feel like huge battles to get the medical care needed. Primary care physician and shoulder surgeon had both given new orders for physical therapy, only for PT to be denied when they tried to authorize it. I have fought insurance battles before. But, they are exhausting, draining. Additionally, we are working on trying to sort out other issues, figure out how to prioritize, and what to do. The result is I have been overwhelmed with everything. I am tired. It is requiring more effort to keep my focus on what is going well, to trust fully in God, knowing He is sustaining me.

"From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I." Psalm 61:2 (KJV)

Copyright © 2018 by Only By God's Grace. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment