Friday, July 8, 2016

One Week

I am one week post-op from a hip scope (repair of a labral tear and shaving bone to correct femoral acetabular impingement, plus a couple of other things).  This is the biggest surgery I have ever had and I was apprehensive beforehand. There is an entire story behind getting to the point of surgery, but suffice it to say, there was a lot of thought and other considerations put into the decision to proceed. While not easy, this recovery has thus far been much easier than I expected and I continue to be pleasantly surprised with how well things are going. This past week has held a lot of "firsts." First time for orthopedic surgery, first time on crutches, first travel after surgery, first PT since surgery, first time sleeping almost through the night since well before surgery, first time being this helpless since infancy, first time driving since surgery, first time successfully "stepping" up the stairs with crutches--after some hilarious previous attempts at managing stairs with crutches that ultimately ended up with me sitting down and scooting up the stairs--not elegant, but it worked.  So far, no falls--trying to keep it this way.  Three more weeks of crutches provided things continue to progress well.

Any surgery is traumatic and exhausting to the body.  I slept the vast majority of this past week. Sort of seems as if my current existence is sleep/rest, physical therapy home exercises, eat, nap, and repeat. Showers are exhausting. Physical therapy appointments are exhausting. Just getting myself maneuvered out of bed takes thought and effort.

It may seem like there is much to be frustrated and discouraged over--and I will admit it can be frustrating and discouraging at times. However, the positive far outweighs the negative. Pain has been far more manageable than before surgery! This totally surprised me. I figured pain would be worse at first after surgery but thus far other than right away, there has been very little pain and really just a little uncomfortable at times. I am sleeping better than before surgery.

I was very grateful my sister could go with me for the surgery and stay with me so long afterward. It let me rest and recover those initial days without trying to rush to be as independent as possible. We knew I could do some things, but she did a lot and let me focus on rest and recovery. I am far more independent than I thought I would be at this point, but am still dependent for assistance with some things.

I pray this recovery continues as well as it has started. I pray I am willing to be patient and not try to rush things. I pray I learn to recognize what to push through and what to wait out. Full recovery will be a lengthy process and anticipated to be around a year. However, after 3 years of literally limping along with hip pain no matter what I tried, this surgery offers hope.  Hope that now my efforts and the efforts of those helping me will actually yield long term results.

Overall, I am relieved and amazed at God's goodness and provision.

Copyright © 2016 by Steph. All rights reserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment