Sunday, March 11, 2012

Another Successful Experiment!

I was in the mood for something sweet, but had limited ingredients on hand. I decided to use up some of the powdered sugar and cream cheese I had gotten on sale sometime...in not too ancient of history.

Normally when experimenting, I have a recipe, or two, or three...that I start from and make adjustments from there. Today I just started with 2 ingredients and modified from there based on how things were going...it was actually fun-especially since it turned out!

So, what was this recipe? Frosting-starting with cream cheese (Neufchatel, aka 1/3 less fat cream cheese) and powdered sugar. I didn't have much on hand that was I was going to be able to frost. No cookies, no cake, no graham crackers, or pretzels or any of the usual things I like to put frosting on. So, thinking through what might be OK with frosting added, the best options were the banana bran muffin batter in the fridge-bake a few muffins and frost while warm. Then, if extra frosting, I have both banana muffins and pumpkin muffins in the freezer. So, cream cheese frosting sounded like a nice accompaniment to any or all of these. Knowing what I do about flavor balance, I added a pinch of salt, then was debating what flavoring to use. I only have vanilla, almond and lemon flavoring on hand...almond didn't sound right with cream cheese and vanilla sounded too ordinary, so I opted for lemon. Lemon suits cream cheese very nicely! And, the frosting was delicious on a fresh hot banana bran muffin! Next question, just exactly how does frosting improve the health of an otherwise healthy snack? It doesn't, but it sure tastes good! :)

Recipe? Here goes, but since I was not basing it off anything, I of course also was not recording exactly what I did, so these are estimates.

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (not even remotely healthy)
1 8-oz pkg neufchatel cheese
~4? cups powdered sugar
pinch (~1/8 t) salt
1 t lemon flavor

Soften cream cheese and add sugar a cup a time. After first cup of sugar is mixed in, add salt and flavoring. I really do not know for sure how much sugar I used. I know I put in 2 cups. (I measured a cup, put it in the sifter and added it, repeated with another cup. Then forgot I was measuring before putting in the sifter and just dumped a bunch of sugar in the sifter...until full...and it is supposed to hold ~2 cups, hence my estimate of ~4 cups sugar.) Anyway, keep adding sugar a cup at a time until desired consistency. I wanted this a little on the soft, sticky side since I wanted it more as a glaze really than frosting. To test this recipe, I fixed a fresh muffin, topped with frosting while the muffin was still hot and allowed frosting to melt into muffin-amazingly delicious!

I may post the muffin recipe...later! :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Stephanie, this is inspiring! I don't think I'm quite brave enough to actually experiment with different ingredients, recipes, etc. Usually I just use one recipe and stick to it. That way I know everything will turn out all right. But good for you! =)

    Thanks for sharing!

    In Christ,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie's comment interested me. Either I have trouble sticking to a recipe or following a recipe doesn't always equal success. I can give some excuses, but I think it boils down to not sticking to the recipe. (Two eggs are better than one, don't you think?) Any way - good to see a post (and on my grandson Isaac's 4th birthday). Charlie and Sarah from our meeting were up that way not long ago to visit Brian and Stacy. Hope you got to meet them, they are a sweet blessing to our assembly. Praying still. luvinChrist, ken

    ReplyDelete